[libre-riscv-dev] Hello everyone

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Oct 22 13:32:23 BST 2020

(returning this reply to the original thread, not under multiple
separate different subjects)

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 2:40 AM Abel Joseph John <eddy.gta17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also found an IRC #libre-soc, would that also be a good place to ask
> questions?

yes.

> > Do you have a particular interest in any part of this project or is your
> interest entirely general?
>
> I have done some work with backend scripting in a project but I would love
> to learn about the frontend processes. Especially verification.

in ASIC layout? this is tricky at the moment, because there are no
Libre-Licensed tools that do verification, because all PDKs until only
2 months ago were under NDA.  it will get better: it will just take
time.

> I have started with learning n-migen.

ah excellent, there's some tutorial links here on the nmigen section
https://libre-soc.org/3d_gpu/tutorial/

please do bear in mind: nmigen is python, so you need to appreciate
and adapt to OO (Object-Orientated) programming.  this is *not*
normally taught to HDL Engineers: it is part of Software Engineering
training, not Hardware Engineering training.

IBM's requirements for its HDL engineers is that they know c++.