[libre-riscv-dev] extremely busy crowdsupply update started

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Mar 31 10:31:47 BST 2020

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 9:17 AM Jean-Paul Chaput
<Jean-Paul.Chaput at lip6.fr> wrote:

> On Sat, 2020-03-28 at 17:13 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>   Funny, I remember well a student a while ago telling me that
>   I should use XUL to write the graphical interface of Coriolis.
>   I was already feeling like an old shmuck with my Qt...

sadly, in retrospect, it would have turned out to be a huge mistake.
i'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, that i have been
unable to find *any* major libre software team with the intelligence
and resources to comprehend the strategic importance of DCOM.

historically, it is not a coincidence that there is a correlation
between microsoff's massive success (and that they used COM) and
Apple's massive success (and that they used Objective-J, Objective-C
and Objective-M), where each of those had - has - the same co-class
capability of COM actually built-in to the *compilers*, providing all
and any binaries right across the board with the exact same run-time
self-describing self-introspective object-orientated capacity that COM
gives.

hm.

that said, for long-term plans, you *might* want to look at GNU
Objective-C and the GNUstep GUI framework.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective-C#GNU,_GNUstep,_and_WinObjC