[libre-riscv-dev] [OpenPOWER-HDL-Cores] microwatt tlb

Paul Mackerras paulus at ozlabs.org
Mon Mar 30 04:30:02 BST 2020

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 02:15:03AM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> hi this is for paul mackerras when you see it.
>
> great to know you're working on microwatt. been such a long time, and
> really good to encounter you over the virtual coffee chat earlier today.
>
> here's the link to the radix walk doc i was talking about:
> https://github.com/power-gem5/gem5/blob/gem5-experimental/src/arch/power/radix_walk_example.txt
>
> it is really good.  implementations also exist in the same codebase, the
> easiest way to track them down is via the commit logs in the
> gem5-experimental branch.
>
> for libresoc we really really need clear HDL to "track" if you know what i
> mean, because some of these algorithms are very timeconsuming to implement
> from scratch.
>
> paul, continuing the (brief) discussion somewhat, in a related way, i
> really wanted to make you aware of the implications for microwatt of trying
> to make it multistage pipelined.
>
> if you look up jon dawson's IEE754 FPU code you find that it is entirely
> FSM based.  as such it is superb for fitting in small FPGAs.
>
> over a 6 month period i morphed it from its humble beginnings into an
> absolute beast of a flexibly reprogrammable Object Orientated IEEE754 FP
> toolkit, capable of 16, 32 or 64 bit (and anything else you care to add),
> arbitrary pipeline depth *or* FSM style engines, SIMD capability, *dynamic*
> pipelines, the works.  Jacob helped add a fantastic hybrid fpdiv, sqrt
> *and* rsqrt engine all in the same pipeline.  it's now well north of 10,000
> lines of python code and takes a week to run all the unit tests.
>
> what i learned along the way was that the FSM based systems vs pipeline
> systems trade low gate count and simplicity and code readability for speed,
> much higher gate count, and, unless *and even* if OO design is used, turn
> into the most awful unreadable unmaintainable total trash.
>
> rocketchip unfortunately, for all the compactness and other advantages, is
> particularly bad, *because* of the OO (and total lack of code comments).
> the OO hierarchy makes it flat-out impossible for anyone but its original
> creators to work with.  (something to alert the chiselwatt team on, there,
> although from what i have seen, the code comments in chiselwatt are damn
> good).
>
> and yet if you even remotely try anything like modern OO programming design
> strategies and tecuniques with these 1980s era languages (HDL, Verilog) you
> immediately also run into serious difficulties of a different kind, which i
> won't go into, right now.
>
> the bottom line is: adding extra pipeline stages to microwatt not only
> complicates it and makes it unreadable and unmaintainable, it increases the
> number of LUTs required to the pont where you will need to call it "watt"
> or "megawatt"
>
> :)
>
> regarding exceptions and traps: for in-order pipelined systems these are a
> damn nuisance.

> [...]

Thanks for the comments and the pointers.  We do already have stall
signals in microwatt, but the way it works is pretty simple so far.
The pipelined, in-order execution structure basically comes from
Anton's initial work, so I don't think we'll be throwing that out.
We will continue to make readability and understandability a focus,
and I for one will try to add more code comments as I work on it to
make it easier to follow.

Thanks,
Paul.