[libre-riscv-dev] PPC on Talos and Playstation 3

Lauri Kasanen cand at gmx.com
Mon Mar 30 08:32:26 BST 2020

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 00:12:40 -0700
Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020, 23:55 Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:
> > Remember that Sony blocked OtherOS in a specific firmware version, and
> > newer firmwares were required for running newer games. So finding a PS3
> > that can be used will be hard.
> >
> > However, WiiUs are a viable option for recent-ish power hw for cheap.
>
> The Wii U is a tri-core 32-bit PPC with 2GB of ddr3. Additionally, Nintendo
> is not likely to support installing custom software.
>
> I personally think Power Macs are probably the best option since they can
> use standard PC hardware (eg. ram, sata disk, pci cards (maybe pcie?),
> external display, usb, ethernet), they actually are designed to be able to
> install your own OS, they have 1, 2, or 4 core 64-bit Power processors, and
> they are relatively inexpensive -- I saw one for $100 last I checked.

The specs quote 64-bit FPU, so it's not entirely 32-bit. Nintendo
doesn't need to, they have abandoned the console, and in its last state
it was still hackable, unlike the PS3. Therefore it's safe to buy any
(NTSC, I haven't checked PAL) WiiU if you intend to hack it, vs very
careful checking to find that rare low-firmware PS3.

PowerMacs are fine, though old and power-hogging.

- Lauri