[libre-riscv-dev] PPC on Talos and Playstation 3

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 21:35:17 BST 2020

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020, 13:18 Immanuel, Yehowshua U <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu>
wrote:

> So I was wondering how to run unit tests for the PPC FPU.

I'm planning on making files containing the list of test cases and expected
outputs by using the talos. That way, the unit tests can be run on any
computer without requiring a power processor.

We can obviously do this on the Talos server, but also playstation 3.

> I have some old PPC Macs, but they are 32 bit not 64 bit.
>
> Sony’s playstation 3 however is ppc64. Also, Sony officially supported
> Linux on PS3 FAT models only which you can pick up on eBay for $50 - $70.

another option is one of the power macs, since they are 64-bit and can have
multiple faster cores (unlike the PS3's single power core -- the cell
broadband engine cores are not power cores) and are much more easily
upgradable. I've seen some for around $100.

I know debian works on them since I used to have one but got rid of it when
moving several years ago.