[libre-riscv-dev] Building Docker Containers

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Mar 29 17:14:56 BST 2020

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 5:03 PM Immanuel, Yehowshua U
<yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Haha - well Georgia Tech where I am is more or less like an ISP so I have Gigabit internet when on campus - so no problems here.

yehyeh.  this is normal.  then we get someone like myself: in the
process of developing this project, just in the past two years i've
been to India, China, Taiwan, Okinawa Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong,
Spain, Belgium, Holland, England, Scotland, Canada, the U.S (briefly),
and so use

> I haven’t used chroot in years so I can look into that -

https://libre-riscv.org/HDL_workflow/coriolis2/

schroot.  cole's looking at scripting that page (it's a matter of just
cut/pasting those commands) because it's needed for the build/test
server.  do kick his tyres (yes, you cole :) ) and encourage him to
"release early, release often".  as in, "i'll wait until it's perfect
and completed" *actively* prevents and prohibits collaboration.  so if
you've got something, check it in *immediately*, ok?

(the OpenSourceEcology project actually have a rule that if you wait
more than 60 seconds before committing a file into an online
repository, that's a major red flag / violation of the collaborative
development rules)

> I’ve just always had a good experience with containers for snapshots.

snapshots.  the key word there is: snapshots.  as in, "something that
is expected to be thrown away rather than upgraded".  as in, a
*multi-gigabyte download*.... each time.