[libre-riscv-dev] email etiquette

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Mar 26 21:41:13 GMT 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:25 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020, 12:43 Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry for this lapse in judgement Luke. I've been trying my best to
> > adhere to proper mailing list etiquette, and I've switched to using the
> > open source mail client Mailspring to allow me to make sure I'm sending
> > plaintext mail. But of course, this doesn't prevent me from slipping
> > into my old ways, so thank you for this reminder, I'll try very hard not
> > to do this again.
> >

> We're not like some of the Kernel mailing lists which will just block any
> mail with html,

yeah that one's fun.  at least it warns you with a reject rather than
silent treatment.  the reason they only accept plaintext is because
the key kernel developers have mail-filters which look for
git-format-patch messages.  therefore you absolutely do not want
html-formatted crap.  plus, on (literally) the world's largest
software project (by a long, long margin) it just pisses a *lot* more
people off.

> so you can still use the gmail client if you want, just
> remember to try to trim excessive context, avoid top-posting, and avoid
> using non-plaintext features.
>
> I'm currently writing this in the gmail app for android, in case you were
> wondering.

i'm also on gmail "m.gmail.com" in a web browser with "mobile tab"
set.  sigh it defaults to html (with no option to set plaintext).
however - yes, i still always trim context.

it's just habit.