[libre-riscv-dev] Please go through the new public-inbox elaborate setup revison

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Mar 21 15:52:35 GMT 2020

On Friday, March 20, 2020, Veera <vklr at vkten.in> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 06:30:00PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 1:00 PM Veera <vklr at vkten.in> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I finally worked out what was required from public-inbox + exim4 +
> mailman2.
> >
> > hurrah!
> >
> > > Please see the Bugzilla page http://bugs.libre-riscv.org/sh
> ow_bug.cgi?id=181
> > > for the attached doc which has elaborate setup instructions.
> >
> > excellent.  we now need to decide which lists we want (names).  i
> > suggest "retiring" the libre-riscv-dev list.  also, it doesn't
>
> You said we need archived http urls of libre-riscv-dev lists to save google
> search engine hits we have already. What about it?

well... if we retire libre-riscv-dev that doesnt matter. just leave it
as-is.  however bugzilla etc it will matter.

> > entirely make sense to have two archives, one pipermail, one
> > public-inbox.  i'm advocating we just have public-inbox web archives
> > as it's clear that they're clonable.
> >

> Hey, but pipermail archives are nice to browse.

i know.

except mirroring them and replying is a pain.

i wonder if pba is easy to improve the look, certainly not black on white

> In that case we should set mailman settings:
> DEFAULT_ARCHIVE_PRIVATE = 1
> # So no public viewable archive dir is made
> ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = 1
> # do not use builtin mailman html archiving, archive to mbox only
>
> Mbox archives are backable, while maildir is difficult to backup and
> restore.

i'm not worrying about mbox / maildir diffs, people can always run
converters between the two

> > i *really* need offline mail, i will be using a 3G/4G/WIFI router for
> > the next... err... N months.
> >

> The public-inbox Xapian search is good.

yes i installed it.

> And raw power of linux command line search tools with plains files
> available
> in git will be great.

the git repos for pba seem to store in base64, unless that is V1.

what is nice is all of pba can be stored and installed *locally*. the
entire lot.