[libre-riscv-dev] next tasks

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Mar 14 18:28:29 GMT 2020

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 6:23 PM <whygee at f-cpu.org> wrote:

> I think the very existence of this project proves you can never
> reassure a paranoid ;-)

actually, although we can leverage the privacy aspect to attract
motivated developers, the main benefit to end-users is: dramatically
reduced costs due to no royalties and no massive NREs on hard macros
that need to be amortised across the cost of the chip.

the fact that the chip is privacy-respecting is a "side-benefit" for
the majority of people.  the reduced cost is what will hook them.