[libre-riscv-dev] Contribution measuring (not trying to start a war)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Mar 3 17:54:17 GMT 2020

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 5:06 PM Immanuel, Yehowshua U
<yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

> > I was wondering what benchmarks would we use to determine how much each of
> > us has contributed for when Libre-SOC is more monetarily successful and
> > someone wants to sell stock or determine how much of the profits they get?
>
> As far as I understand, LibreSOC itself will remain non-profit and directly under Lukes control, so I don’t know if it would go public into stocks per se…

*hand-waving*... i much prefer "non-loss" mechanisms such as CICs (a
UK term).  lowRISC is a CIC for example.  "Social Enterprise".

> I’m working on starting another sort of “parent company” that would help fund LibreSOC developers. The parent company would also work on getting LibreSOC directly into the hands of customers, performing device integrations, offering device support, etc.

that's a really good idea.

> Beyond slicing pie within LibreSOC, of course, upon an avalanche success, developers should be entitled to an increasing reward commensurate with their labor, something closer to stocks perhaps, which the parent company would provide.
>
> @Luke, care to comment?

as long as the charter's committment to ensuring that everyone is
equitably rewarded for their contributions, i'm happy with whatever
mechanism achieves that.