[libre-riscv-dev] libre-riscv-dev Digest, Vol 23, Issue 16

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jul 10 23:33:45 BST 2020

On Friday, July 10, 2020, Samuel Falvo II <sam.falvo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've uninstalled nmigen-soc and nmigen, then made sure to install nmigen
> first, *then* nmigen-soc (both by way of setup.py develop), and it now
> seems to work.  Tests are reporting back OK so far (except for skipped
> tests).  (Update: now I'm getting a ton of other errors, but it's at least
> made progress!)

hurrah.

the main one you want is soc/fu/spr/test/test_pipe_caller.py

oh remember to inspect the Makefile in soc.

you want to run pywriter.py

> Looking at the setup.py files in each, they seem to rely on some serious
> black magic to auto-detect installed versions.  I hate stuff like that.
> Configuration management is precisely where you do *NOT* want black magic
> to occur (IMHO).

i know.

basically they are trying to reinvent debian distro behaviour, without the
same level of coordination and due care and attention... oh, and relying on
HTTPS for "security".

the old version of distutils is now deprecated.  it used to not have this
"intelligence".  you had to make sure everything was installed by hand.  no
dependencies were installed or "randomly searched for off the internet".

dependencies not met? error.  sort it out yourself.