[libre-riscv-dev] 130nm for the hackers : finally a reality ?

Cesar Strauss cestrauss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:16:35 BST 2020

On 06/30/2020 14:18, whygee at f-cpu.org wrote:
> https://hackaday.com/2020/06/30/your-own-open-source-asic-skywater-pdf-
> plans-first-130-nm-wafer-in-2020/
>From the article:

> In November, they plan to order a multiproject wafer with 40 slots. They
> don’t know yet if they will have to beg and plead to get 40 designs or
> if they will have to winnow the select down from all possible
> candidates. If you are one of the 40, you’ll get about 10mm square to
> play with and wind up with somewhere around 100 to 300 chips in
> chip-scale packaging (CSP).

> There are a few stipulations. You’ll submit your design on GitHub (or
> some similar public repository), so your design is going to be open source.

An opportunity for libre-SOC?

Are there many existing libre hardware projects, at the ASIC level, to
compete for these 40 slots?

I wonder how to solder these CSP onto a PCB,

> Let us know what IC you want to design — or see someone else design — in
> the comments.

Maybe it would be appropriate to leave a comment?

Besides libre-SOC, I myself would be very interested as well in a libre
FPGA design, with an open bitstream format and libre toolchain.

Cesar