[libre-riscv-dev] Setting up our own CI runner

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 06:01:31 GMT 2020

Cole, one thing you can do if you like is to figure out how to set up
a GitLab CI runner on a computer:

I have an old 8-core AMD FX computer with 20GB of ram and a small SSD
that I'm not currently using, I've been wanting to set it up as our
own CI runner for Kazan-team on Debian Salsa, since Debian apparently
doesn't have that many spare CI runners and since CI builds will
require building LLVM (once I re-enable it) which is a really long
process.

I can install Debian on it and give you a user account if I can get
your public SSH key.

You would have to connect to the server using SSH over Tor, since I
don't have a publicly accessible IP address.

One requirement is to have GitLab set up such that we have to give
people explicit permission before they can run anything on it, since
I'm running it on my home network and I don't want to deal with abuse.

We can check with Luke what he thinks about how much money should be
assigned to this task, since this is more of a nice-to-have rather
than a requirement. I'm thinking maybe EUR 100 at most, and if it
looks like it's going to take longer than that, we should just give
up, since it's not that important.

Since this is more of a sys-admin job rather than a Rust programming
job, it may not be quite what you were hoping for. There will
definitely be Rust programming jobs later.

Veera, if Cole doesn't end up wanting to do the job, do you want to instead?