[libre-riscv-dev] Vulkanizing

Scheming Pony scheming-pony at protonmail.com
Wed Feb 19 18:55:26 GMT 2020

> leaving the numbers aside: you're describing "single instruction,
> multiple data" but gone mad. it's been recognised in the industry -
> thanks to the billions spent - that SIMT is unmanageable at the
> software level. Mitch Alsup was only a consultant on the Samsung GPU
> project, and his warnings not to implement SIMT were not heeded.

Research: Connection Machine (*Lisp and C*), SIMT done right--*Feyman* was behind that bad boy.  If you scale this thing, and interconnect with hypercube topology, you might get a connection machine emerging.

But, OK given your anti-SMT logic why not throw away Vulkan, the descendent of OpenGL, meant for SIMD GPU designs?  For the prototype use OpenGL 3.1.  You have painted yourself back into the original design case for OpenGL anyway.  It would run Curv and my Open Inventor 3D Lisp desktop.  Doug pointed out that we might have to add a patch for "noise()".  Many, many people know OpenGL and use it everyday.  It's like the "make" thing I guess, will we ever get rid of Autotools?