[libre-riscv-dev] Vulkanizing

Veera vklr at vkten.in
Wed Feb 19 18:26:39 GMT 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 04:09:17PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 19, 2020, Scheming Pony <scheming-pony at protonmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >  the concept of "switchability" of the hybrid-CPU in some sense insulates
> > us from this madness, no?
>

> yes.  actually it's stronger than that.  as in, it's completely cut out,
> being utterly irrelevant to us.
>
> as in it's not "insulated", it's a complete total red herring to even
> bother thinking about how bad their code and approach is.  we have nothing
> we want to use from the "standard" way of doing separate CPU-GPU drivers.
>
> at all.
>
> not Videocore IV, not PowerVR, not Intel, not AMDGPU, not MALI, not
> Vivante, not NVIDIA - absolutely every single one of them we absolutely
> have *no interest* in copying or deploying their inter-processor "shim"
> code.

At the start Intel PC's had a core CPU and all others had to be done
through IO. For graphics we used to have ISA, then PCI cards. So in PC's
the concept of separate CPU and GPU. But Videocore, PowerVR, MALI etc
could have done hybrid but they chose to keep it as separate IP's,
perhaps for selling the IP's to others.

Regards,
Veera