[libre-riscv-dev] Reference OS

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 02:56:50 GMT 2020

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020, 18:44 Scheming Pony <scheming-pony at protonmail.com>
wrote:

> Follow up questions:
>
> 1) I guess I am in some quantum space, but what processor *are* we
> building?  I thought RISC-V then I heard PowerPC.

The plan was originally RISC-V but after issues with the RISC-V Foundation,
we decided to investigate switching to Power ISA while retaining the
ability to run RV64GC (RISC-V minimal Unix ISA) in userspace since we
originally promised the people funding us that the processor would support
RISC-V. This is similar to how x86_64 processors can still run i686
programs.

> 2) There's also the BIOS...Open Firmware...?

We haven't explicitly decided.