[libre-riscv-dev] Clarifying the difference between Kazan and Mesa 3D Vulkan

Veera vklr at vkten.in
Sun Feb 16 23:40:11 GMT 2020

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 09:11:16PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 9:04 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Wow! Thank you that gives me a way better understanding.
>
> this is a bit... "potted" if you know what i mean.  it won't be
> entirely accurate.  OpenGL used to be a stand-alone standard.  then
> people realised that shaders and shader compilers were really
> important.  OpenGL adapted by adding a way to do OpenGL Shaders,
> however as that became the "norm", Vulkan kinda took over, and OpenGL
> "compatibility layers" were added *on top* of Vulkan (rather than
> trying it the other way round).

OpenGL has a state and is therefore complex and slow and difficult to implement.
While Vulkan is based on simple primitives and fast and the user has to
coordinate it. AMD developed METAL API which is somewhat like Microsoft's DirectX.
AMD donated the code of METAL API and Vulkan is based on it.

Regards,
Veera