[libre-riscv-dev] Hi, I am new and like to work, contribute to this project

Veera vklr at vkten.in
Thu Feb 13 01:07:12 GMT 2020

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 05:48:42PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 7:57 AM Veera <vklr at vkten.in> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am Veera Kumar and like to work, contribute to this project.
> > I am settled in India. I am following the happenings of this project for a year.
>
> great!  as jacob said, welcome, veera.

Thanks.

> > It is a very useful Libre SOC project and I always wanted one for many years.
> > Sifive boards are very costly and also they lack a GPU and perhaps even if some
> > comes it may be proprietory with hidden backdoors, bugs, lack of documentation
> > and ease of using and integrating.
>
> sigh, yes.
>
> > I am a self taught software user, developer and using Linux for 15 years.
> > So I have knowledge in installing open source softwares from sources and doing system
> > administration. I have used Redhat, Fedora, Debian and few others.
>
> okaaay, great.  perhaps you could help me to document the
> libre-riscv.org server's setup and config files.

Ok.

> > Skills I Know:
> > 1) Linux Distribution building
> > 2) System administration
> >
> > I have very less knowledge of Digital design, HDL, FPGA's and ASIC's.
> > components.
>
> excellent.
>
> rright.  as a sysadmin, you're probably used to writing shell scripts
> and python programs that do... "stuff", am i right? :)

Yes, I have experience in shell scripts.
I have used python for small use cases.

> one thing we are not very good at is making sure that the copyright
> notices on files include a "SPD:" notice, and so on.
>
> therefore, one immediately useful task would be to research how to add
> those, preferably using a python script, to *all* source code files.
>
> a secondary task would be to write (or find) a git log "parser" that
> double-checks the commits, making sure that the author has been added
> to the Copyright header notices for the file.
>
> NLNet do actually have some scripts that do this - i think - or they
> know someone who does, so we can actually ask them for help, here.
>
> so!
>
> as you knoow, you've seen the messages already, we like people to let
> us know that they're happy with the charter, or have any questions.
> https://libre-riscv.org/charter/discussion/

Ok.

> then we know we are all on the same page.
>
> warmest,

I live in India and my timezone is UTC +5:30, so delay in reply.
When morning starts here, night starts in US. When morning starts in
US night starts here. 12 hr difference between India and US.

Regards,
Veera