[libre-riscv-dev] Hi, I am new and like to work, contribute to this project

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 12 17:48:42 GMT 2020

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 7:57 AM Veera <vklr at vkten.in> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Veera Kumar and like to work, contribute to this project.
> I am settled in India. I am following the happenings of this project for a year.

great!  as jacob said, welcome, veera.

> It is a very useful Libre SOC project and I always wanted one for many years.
> Sifive boards are very costly and also they lack a GPU and perhaps even if some
> comes it may be proprietory with hidden backdoors, bugs, lack of documentation
> and ease of using and integrating.

sigh, yes.

> I am a self taught software user, developer and using Linux for 15 years.
> I have knowledge in use of Linux distributions for personal purposes and have
> developed my own private personal Linux distribution using LFS/CLFS instructions.
> So I have knowledge in installing open source softwares from sources and doing system
> administration. I have used Redhat, Fedora, Debian and few others.

okaaay, great.  perhaps you could help me to document the
libre-riscv.org server's setup and config files.

> Skills I Know:
> 1) Linux Distribution building
> 2) System administration
> 3) Shell, C, awk, Perl, Python, Lua, HTML, PHP
> 4) Develop websites, run VPS on Linux
>
> I have very less knowledge of Digital design, HDL, FPGA's and ASIC's.
> But have user level knowledge of computer hardware and discrete electronic
> components.

excellent.

rright.  as a sysadmin, you're probably used to writing shell scripts
and python programs that do... "stuff", am i right? :)

one thing we are not very good at is making sure that the copyright
notices on files include a "SPD:" notice, and so on.

therefore, one immediately useful task would be to research how to add
those, preferably using a python script, to *all* source code files.

a secondary task would be to write (or find) a git log "parser" that
double-checks the commits, making sure that the author has been added
to the Copyright header notices for the file.

NLNet do actually have some scripts that do this - i think - or they
know someone who does, so we can actually ask them for help, here.

so!

as you knoow, you've seen the messages already, we like people to let
us know that they're happy with the charter, or have any questions.
https://libre-riscv.org/charter/discussion/

then we know we are all on the same page.

warmest,