[libre-riscv-dev] AI Accelerator

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 07:06:27 GMT 2020

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020, 22:39 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 4, 2020, Immanuel, Yehowshua U <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu
> >
> wrote:
> > Here are some thoughts:
> > Future SOCs are guaranteed to have AI accelerators - so this is a chance
> > for LibreSOC to pioneer. LibreSOC can establish an ethical reference
> > implementation of an ethical AI accelerator SOC.
>

> interestingly it doesn't quite work as might be expected.  once technology
> is created there is no means or method to prevent misuse.
>
> thus the only choice of the creator is, if there is the potential for
> ethical violations, not to create at all.
>
> question: can you guarantee that with today's current deep lack of respect
> for humanity, let alone other intelligent creatures, that self aware AI
> will not be tortured?

If we are deciding based on those criteria, then we are better off not
creating any general-purpose computational devices at all, since the exact
same algorithms can be run on them as would run on the specialized
hardware, and, even if it's a few orders of magnitude slower, any
general-purpose computational device can simulate the hypothetical
intelligent programs just as much as dedicated hardware can.

Turing completeness bites again...