[libre-riscv-dev] LibreSOC domain

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 20:53:19 GMT 2020

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020, 12:29 Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Libre-RISCV mailing list,
>
> My name is Cole Poirier and I am a 23 year old from and living in
> Vancouver Canada. I dropped out of University of Toronto in my third year
> of a history and philosophy program to move home and pursue my passion for
> programming two years ago. I have taught my self python and rust in the
> interim, and read a lot about computer science with a focus on hardware and
> graphics (this focus is due to this project). I started following this
> project about a year ago and have been closely following the mailing lists
> for over six months. I had been holding off on introducing myself because I
> was spending most of my time improving my software skills until I got a
> job, which I did last week. I am now getting in touch to express my
> interest in helping in anyway you might be able to use my technically
> limited capacity, while also wishing to receive some guidance on what
> course of self-study I should pursue to start making myself technically
> useful in the future.

Welcome, glad your here!

I do have a direct comment on this thread however. I did a search and found
> that libresoc.co and libresoc.ca are available. I don’t know if .ca would
> be attractive given it is a Canadian top level domain and not one of the
> big top level domains. I do think that perhaps libresoc.co should be
> considered because it is, at least to my knowledge one of the big top level
> domains.
>
> With regard to making the branding of the naming consistent. My preference
> would be to use “Libre SoC” as the top level name/brand. If “libresoc.co”
> is not chosen but the hyphenated libre-soc is the domain string that is
> chosen, I think that the top level name should remain in the above,
> non-hyphenated and specifically capitalized form but the URL be kept as
> simple as possible as “libre-soc.org”.

I would rank Libre SoC as 1.5 (between Libre-SoC and Libre-SOC) in my
preferred order.

I think we should use libre-soc.org, and have all the other domains
redirect to it. I think libresoc.ca may not be the best TLD because
Libre-SoC is an international community, not a specifically canadian one
(acknowledging that .org is sort-of a US TLD, due to internet history,
however, it doesn't have a country in the name, unlike .ca).