[libre-riscv-dev] LibreSOC domain

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 20:29:01 GMT 2020

Hi Libre-RISCV mailing list,

My name is Cole Poirier and I am a 23 year old from and living in Vancouver Canada. I dropped out of University of Toronto in my third year of a history and philosophy program to move home and pursue my passion for programming two years ago. I have taught my self python and rust in the interim, and read a lot about computer science with a focus on hardware and graphics (this focus is due to this project). I started following this project about a year ago and have been closely following the mailing lists for over six months. I had been holding off on introducing myself because I was spending most of my time improving my software skills until I got a job, which I did last week. I am now getting in touch to express my interest in helping in anyway you might be able to use my technically limited capacity, while also wishing to receive some guidance on what course of self-study I should pursue to start making myself technically useful in the future.

I do have a direct comment on this thread however. I did a search and found that libresoc.co and libresoc.ca are available. I don’t know if .ca would be attractive given it is a Canadian top level domain and not one of the big top level domains. I do think that perhaps libresoc.co should be considered because it is, at least to my knowledge one of the big top level domains.

With regard to making the branding of the naming consistent. My preference would be to use “Libre SoC” as the top level name/brand. If “libresoc.co” is not chosen but the hyphenated libre-soc is the domain string that is chosen, I think that the top level name should remain in the above, non-hyphenated and specifically capitalized form but the URL be kept as simple as possible as “libre-soc.org”.

Thank you,

Cole Poirier