[libre-riscv-dev] Pitch Speech

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Apr 11 23:28:01 BST 2020

On Saturday, April 11, 2020, Immanuel, Yehowshua U <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu>
wrote:

> > lower power, lower software development costs, lower hardware costs
> > due to no licensing royalties.
>
> Yep yep. But the thing I’ve found really catches on is the GPU aspect.
>
> Basically - the question was - what else does LIbreSOC offer besides being
> an open ARM chip,
> and the answer that caught people’s attention was, we have a non-trash GPU
> solution.

yes.

here is those benefits i mentioned.

lower power because it is integrated (a hybrid) single CPUGPUVPU.

lower software development cost because not only is the source code
entirely libre, the drastically simpler driver model combined with the full
source means that single-stepping into the ACTUAL 3D ENGINE is possible.

that is flat out impossible on a proprietary GPU, not because you can't
single step across a kernel level PCIe bus to a completely different
processor, but how the hell do you synchronise debugging when the remote
instruction set is utterly different from the main core??

lower hardware costs due to no licensing is pretty obvious.