[libre-riscv-dev] Broken build notification from debian salsa

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Apr 7 16:00:06 BST 2020

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 3:37 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Checking to see if you saw this Luke:
> https://salsa.debian.org/Kazan-team/soc/-/jobs/652909

no, i don't see anything from that because it's not sent to a public
mailing list / resource.

> If you don't have email notifications enabled, you probably should.

the implications of relying on and reacting to something that's sent
via a *private message* - even one that comes from an automated system
- are that we are "hiding something".

that seriously violates the goals of the project and undermines the
basis of the funding that we receive from NLNet.

although it's fantastic that you've done them, none of the rest of the
team have any idea why those bugs were fixed in the unit tests, except
when reviewing the "final result" - the commit.

this is a huge alarm-bell.

> We
> should probably figure out how to get salsa build failures sent to the
> mailing list as well,

build failures, job runs - everything.

this is important, jacob.

i didn't realise what was going to be involved in the deployment of
CI, otherwise i would have raised it as a proper discussion for
evaluation, long before the time and effort was spent on getting it
set up.

including properly evaluating alternatives, and how to ensure that
everything is archived and transparent.