[libre-riscv-dev] Who Buys Talos Workstations?

Immanuel, Yehowshua U yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu
Sun Apr 5 02:52:47 BST 2020

I was looking at RaptorCS workstations and was pleasantly surprised to find that the entire system from MOBO to firmware is nearly entirely open source with exception of the ethernet card firmware and the CPU RTL of course.

However, compared to their competitors which are equally performant i9s and threadripper systems, they are about twice as expensive. This makes me wonder, what are the primary PPC server customers in this market?

I know for example that the US military uses NXP PPC processors in aircraft. Also, the auto industry STILL uses PPC a lot. But who would be interested in a more expensive POWER server? I couldn’t find much on this from usual Google sources...

Yehowshua