[libre-riscv-dev] PPC on Talos and Playstation 3

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Apr 1 12:00:08 BST 2020

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 1:23 AM Immanuel, Yehowshua U
<yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

> > the NEC processors from the powerpc-notebook project *might* be POWER9.
>
> I looked into this - these are actually NXP processors. NXP T2080 to be precise.
> The data sheet is a little unhelpful - not making it clear what POWER it is.
>
> Anyways - the processor itself has some similarities to our goals. It might be a good idea to browse through its specs and see if we can match its pinouts down the road.

with USD $20 million just for that effort alone, yes that would be possible.

it's a massive thousand-pin monster with multi-gigabit interfaces.
packaging costs alone will far exceed the cost of the appx-300-pin SoC
we're currently aiming for.

> Hopefully, by that time, powerpc-notebook is ready to go, and our processor could be just plug and play…
>
> And I wanted to attach an image from the data sheet, but… too large at 88KB :(

send link.