[libre-riscv-dev] power pc

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Oct 23 01:20:37 BST 2019

just had a very quick 15 min call with hugh, he had a little bit of
time.  he explained that the OpenPower Foundation is literally in the
middle of deciding how to accommodate both libre/open and commercial
interests.

he said that something akin to ISANX/ISAMUX had actually been
considered, as a way to allow people to do extensions that don't
interfere with the main system.  i explained that that's exactly what
we need... but in an "endorsed" fashion, i.e. it needs to actually
have an "official sanction" behind it.  they totally get it.

also, very interestingly - bear in mind that this is all fluid - one
idea being considered is that "Compliant" implementations get access
to IBM's relevant Patent Portfolio (with a royalty-free non-assert
agreement).  if you *don't* produce a "Compliant" implementation, that
patent pool access is *not* granted.  this gives a "Big Stick"
incentive.

now, all of this is completely under discussion, nothing guaranteed,
it's quite literally in the middle of being sorted out, and not
"announced" or finalised.  however it all sounds extremely positive.

that's all we're going to get for the next couple of weeks because of
the Conference in Europe.  he'll let me know when he's available next,
which should be... mid-november.