[libre-riscv-dev] [Alliance-users] Coriolis flow fails on Arlet verilog MOS6502 core

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat May 25 21:28:27 BST 2019

On Saturday, May 25, 2019, Jean-Paul Chaput <Jean-Paul.Chaput at lip6.fr>
wrote:

> Hello Staf,
>
> Please find in attachement a "settings.py" to put into the ".coriolis/"
> directory of your bench.
>
> Just a few words of explanations about how the P&R work. The algorithm
> of the detailed router is more sensitive to the density of the design
> than the sheer size of it. In that regard, the RISC-V is (obviously)
> a RISC architecture which is less dense than a 6502 one of CISC kind,
> even if smaller. By density, I mean the interconnexion graph which is
> the netlist. The RISC graph is more sparse. So a smaller but denser
> design can be more difficult than a bigger but sparser one (I made
> some measurement about that).

This is fascinating insight that I am cc sharing with libre-riscv-dev.

What advice would you give to anyone designing a RISCV processor, right
now, that was intended to be laid out with alliance/coriolois2?

For example, I am going to a lot of effort to modularise the implementation
into very deep hierarchical structures, to avoid exactly the kinds of
complex graphs that you say may be problematic, even if it makes software
simulation drastically slower.

Does this sound reasonable?