[libre-riscv-dev] On language choice.

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sun May 5 12:10:25 BST 2019

On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 04:31:23AM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> *you* could implement them... however what about the users?  what is
> the cost *to them*?
>
> i always look beyond the immediate "is this easy", thinking of the
> whole picture.  programming, for me, is actually quite challenging.
> so i think regularly in terms of "how can i minimise the amount of
> programming needed, to complete the *whole* picture?"

I agree.  And for programming I always wonder, what's the best way to
minimize debugging time, since I've found that to be the most
time-consuming aspet of programming.  Which is why I prefer strong type
checking ... but the *wrong* type system is worse than none.  And a
language without good library support isn't going to cut it any more.

> this allows me to avoid some extremely costly design and development
> decisions, as i cherry-pick from wildly disparate sources and even
> take into consideration the creation of cross-language conversion
> tools as a way to bridge between two (or more) seemingly utterly
> different and otherwise incompatible projects.

Yes.

-- hendrik