[libre-riscv-dev] SVprefix v0.2

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Feb 18 09:39:17 GMT 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 9:30 AM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had meant for a redesign using tomasulo's algorithm that we (or someone
> else) might do for a successor to our SoC.

yyeahh, after evaluating all the different options, i think it's
fairly safe to say that anyone not using the type of register file
split and not doing the hierarchical reservation stations with split
(shared) Function Units would have a bitch of a job supporting element
widths not equal to the register file width.

and, from what mitch alsup said, it's a well-known bitch-of-a-problem
to shoe-horn SIMD-style "lanes" on top of a general-purpose register
file, that's caused no end of problems for decades.

the only reason i feel comfortable with it is because of that
hierarchical reservation concept, where use of an 8-bit or 16-bit
element cascades up to reserve the (full) 32-bit register and the
64-bit register as well.  and that's only really possible to do using
a Scoreboard design (as best i can tell).

basically, other microarchitectures would need to forego support for
varying element widths and punt it to traps.