[libre-riscv-dev] CSR control of architectural hints

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 21:27:33 GMT 2019

Specifically, there would be a csr that is matched against every
instruction, when it matches, a speculation fence is inserted. We need to
allow for the case that the selected hint has other functionality, such as
a csr write, and still execute the hint as a normal instruction.

I had also suggested we would want functionality to match any instruction
(or group of instructions) and convert it into a trap as a way to
trap-and-emulate allowing us to fix hw bugs discovered after we build the
final silicon.

Jacob

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019, 05:35 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net