[libre-riscv-dev] Video planning

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Dec 30 21:24:18 GMT 2019

On Monday, December 30, 2019, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 12:19 AM Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here's some preliminary planning for the video part. Top-level headings.
> > Any actual work will need to know the ISA.
> >
> > <snip>

bizarre. somehow i missed this message.

lauri, could you add this to a wiki page  eg this one?

https://libre-riscv.org/vpu/?updated

then we can start breaking it down into milestones and assign budgets to
those, for you?

> > YUV-RGB conversion for the most common formats:
> > rgb/bgr24, rgbx/bgrx/xrgb/xbgr32, nv12, nv21
>
> I'm assuming you're aware that the YCbCr (also called YUV) to RGB
> conversion hardware can be shared with the GPU texturing hardware,
> since we'll have to implement YCbCr to RGB conversion there anyway.
> See the Vulkan YCbCr texturing extension:
> https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.1-
> extensions/html/vkspec.html#VK_KHR_sampler_ycbcr_conversion
>
> Looks good to me so far.

 i remember that some video decoders used in e.g. firefox absolultely
refuse to offer anything other than opengl as a display option.

this is possibly why, the last  decode phase is shared.