[libre-riscv-dev] status dec 2019

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Dec 8 17:09:54 GMT 2019

On Sunday, December 8, 2019, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 11:53 PM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> >
> > hi all, just a quick status update.
> >
> > am still here in canada, helping my associates start this business doing
> > ebikes. http://www.teznic.com it's a long story, however yes down the
> line
> > we want collision avoidance warnings (like the new damon electric
> > motorcycle), self driving gyros, and a mesh network etc.
>
> You mean networking is possible without centralized servers doing
> everything? :P

look up "babeld", ahcpd and tinc.

> I've been thinking about implementing a P2P protocol for my game
> (Voxels),

nice. that will be challenging as you cannot have packet overheads in
games, the players get antsy about latency.

even using other players as routers - a common requirement on p2p networks
due to NAT interference - would be considered "unfair"

>  once I get around to working on it again (probably be quite
> a while as Libre-RISCV is taking up most of my programming time).

oh, if you run out of things, a next high priority is that multi-signal
class (the core of the SIMD)

> > the ones i took off the list are the opencl one and the gcc one. the gcc
> > one realistically needs a quarter of a million dollars minimum, to
> attract
> > people with the right level of expertise.  opencl can be done later.
>
> GCC can also be done later, since GCC already supports running
> programs on RISC-V and Power, just without using the new instructions.

yes.

> Rustc/Clang/etc. work fine with LLVM, which will have support for all
> the new instructions, though probably not in the front-ends right
> away.

there is enough money around from other parties such that we don't need to
be concerned about the frontends.

> One other thing that needs to be worked on soon is to determine if
> we're going to fosdem and if nlnet or someone else is willing to help
> with expenses, there's only a few months left and that kind of thing
> is usually better done well in advance.

i know. unlikely, it depends on nlnet and because i did the updates a lot
more people know about them now, so they were overloaded with applications.