[libre-riscv-dev] [isa-dev] Re: FP transcendentals (trigonometry, root/exp/log) proposal

Allen Baum allen.baum at esperantotech.com
Thu Aug 8 19:36:20 BST 2019

For what it's worth, the HP calculator algorithms had Prof. Kahan as a
consultant (and HP had exclusive rights for the decimal versions of the
algorithm; I think Intel had rights to the binary versions).
Their accuracy requirements were that the result was accurate to with +/-1
bit of the *input* argument, which gives quite a bit of leeway when the
slope of the function is extremely steep. Since many of the trig functions
required input reduction of X mod pi ( or 2pi of .5pi - don't recall) -
that could be pretty far out without ~99 digits of pi to reduce it, and
even if it was perfectly reduced, one LSB of X.xxxxxxxxE 99 is not a small
number, so accuracy at the end of the scale is a bit nebulous.