[libre-riscv-dev] [isa-dev] Re: FP transcendentals (trigonometry, root/exp/log) proposal

Luis Vitorio Cargnini lvcargnini at ours-tech.com
Thu Aug 8 07:28:12 BST 2019

Hello,

My $0.02 of contribution
Regarding the comment of 3 platforms:
> * Embedded Platform (where it's entirely up to the implementor, as there
will be no interaction with public APIs)
No, IEEE, ARM is an embedded platform and they implement IEEE in all of them
> * UNIX Platform (which would require strict IEEE754 accuracy, for use in
GNU libm, OR repeatable numericalist-acceptable accuracy)
Standard IEEE, simple no 'new' on this sector.
> * a *NEW* 3D Platform, where accuracy is defined by strict conformance to
a high-profile standard e.g. OpenCL / Vulkan.
No, simply use IEEE that it is all, and based on the IEEE standard you can
measure the deviation in your system.

No, just adopt IEEE-754, it is a standard, it is a standard for a reason.
Anything out of IEEE-754, it does not conform with IEEE and for such you
are on your own. However, you still can demonstrate your deviation from the
standard.

Best Regards,
Luis Vitorio Cargnini, Ph.D.
Senior Hardware Engineer
OURS Technology Inc., Santa Clara, California, 95054