[libre-riscv-dev] [isa-dev] Re: FP transcendentals (trigonometry, root/exp/log) proposal

MitchAlsup MitchAlsup at aol.com
Thu Aug 8 02:17:37 BST 2019

An old guy at IBM (a Fellow) made a long and impassioned plea in a paper
from the late 1970s or early 1980s that whenever something is put "into the
instruction set" that the result be as accurate as possible. Look it up,
it's a good read.

At the time I was working for a mini-computer company where a new
implementation was not giving binary accurate results compared to an older
generation. This was traced to an "enhancement" in the F32 and F64 accuracy
from the new implementation. To a customer, they all wanted binary
equivalence, even if the math was worse.

On the other hand, back when I started doing this (CPU design) the guys
using floating point just wanted speed and they were willing to put up with
not only IBM floating point (Hex normalization, and gard digit) but even
CRAY floating point (CDC 6600, CDC 7600, CRAY 1) which was demonstrably
WORSE in the numerics department.

In any event; to all. but 5 floating point guys in the world, a rounding
error (compared to the correctly rounded result) occurring less often than
3% of the time and no more than 1 ULP, is as accurate as they need (caveat:
so long as the arithmetic is repeatable.) As witness, the FDIV <lack of>
instruction in ITANIC had a 0.502 ULP accuracy (Markstein) and nobody
complained.

My gut feeling tell me that the numericalists are perfectly willing to
accept an error of 0.51 ULP RMS on transcendental calculations.
My gut feeling tell me that the numericalists are not willing to accept an
error of 0.75 ULP RMS on transcendental calculations.
I have no feeling at all on where to draw the line.