[libre-riscv-dev] Vulkan trademark licensing

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Apr 1 00:41:56 BST 2019

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 10:30 PM Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been thinking about Luke trying to work out trademark issues with the
> RISC-V Foundation and I realized that we will need to handle the similar
> issue of licensing the Vulkan trademark from Khronos. Anyone have plans on
> what to do?

 hmmm, well... the mesagl project doesn't have an issue, so there is a
lead to follow there
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_(computer_graphics)

 basically from what i gather, it's if "compliance" is asserted
(without permission) that they could get antsy.  however, a libre
project, which *helps* the khronos group, is a different ballgame.

> I do have a contact in Khronos (worked with them to implement
> Vulkan support in libSDL), though they might be the wrong person to contact.

it'd be a good place to start, they might be able to help find the right person.