[libre-riscv-dev] evaluation of bit-witdh scoreboards

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Dec 16 14:38:11 GMT 2018

On Sunday, December 16, 2018, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 3:51 AM lkcl <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > we need to evaluate whether to drastically cut down the number
> > of registers and use a 2k SRAM instead.
> >
> If the memory is shared between cores, it definitely won't be sufficient in
> size and will be a total pain to implement since we will probably need to
> have at least a port for each core.
> It will work pretty well to have the 2k per-core sram treated by the
> compiler as extra registers that can be only accessed by special move
> instructions. Importantly, the SRAM will need to be not memory-mapped since
> then we need to get the MMU involved and LLVM is designed to spill to the
> stack rather than to a special memory region.

One idea, set up regs with vector shortcut, predication can save batch to
mem address by redirecting SP. Code all same its just that eg r63 gets used
as SP! Points to SRAM, standard code of stack spill updates. 2k sounding
small though. Dont know.

Allen Baum told me of idea where MMU TLB is special case for SRAM, it
doesnt go through L1, judt TLB. I quite like it.

However simpler idea that also