[libre-riscv-dev] GPU design

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 20:30:28 GMT 2018

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018, 04:31 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net
wrote:

> https://passlab.github.io/CSE564/notes/lecture18_ILP_DynamicMultIssueSpeculationAdvanced.pdf
>
> page 8.  i had a feeling this might be the case: a standard scoreboard
> with explicit register-renaming requires a "real" register file that's
> larger than the one that the ISA has.  we *already* have an absolutely
> massive register file: 2x 128 64-bit.

If we use renaming and my idea for having the integer and fp register files
be the same thing, we can get away with 1.5x 128 64-bit or less. I found a
pdf that describes how big a 6r3w register file is in 48nm, they have a
32x128 register file that takes up about 30,000 um^2 (figure 1, fabmem), so
we can expect somewhere around 50,000 um^2 for a 64x192 6r3w register file
in 28nm.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316727584_A_case_for_standard-cell_based_RAMs_in_highly-ported_superscalar_processor_structures